In honor of Women's History Month, last night was Ladies Night. The talented ladies performing included co-host Sheena Janson (along with Max Wojtanowicz) and guests Moriah Huerta (with a mature voice for a 20-year-old, singing a little Streisand no less!), Kayla Jenerson (who doesn't cry out loud but she does sing out loud), Kelly Matthews (she's your man), Quinn Shadko (starting a heat wave), and Emily Villano (she can cook too), with musical director and accompanist Andrew Bourgoin (whose facial expressions are as fun to watch as his hands on the keyboard). As usual with Musical Mondays, most of the songs were previously unknown to me, but all wonderfully interesting choices (full song list available on their Facebook page).
All of this is yours to enjoy for a suggested donation of just $5 (with reasonably priced food and drinks available), which also gets you entered into a drawing to win free theater tickets. This month's 9 winners (those are good odds) received a pair of tickets to Nina Simone: Four Women at Park Square, Beauty and the Beast at Chanhassen Dinner Theatres, or DJ Latinidad's Latino Dance Party at Mixed Blood.
One of my favorite parts of the night is when each performer gets a chance to plug their upcoming show. Which I pass on to you here:
- Kelly Matthews: Fiddler on the Roof at Artistry (formerly known as Bloomington Civic Theatre) in April
- Quinn Shadko: currently The Diary of Anne Frank at Park Square Theatre (student matinees only) and a production of Marriage of Figaro at the James J. Hill house this summer
- Kayla Jenerson: Violet at Yellow Tree Theater in April
- Emily Villano: Chameleon Circle Theatre's Catch Me If You Can at Ames Center in April
- Moriah Huerta: nothing coming up (somebody please cast this talented young woman!)
- Andrew Bourgoin: Diary of a Wimpy Kid at Children's Theatre in April
Great entertainment featuring talented performers, a little musical theater education, food and drinks, fun people watching (with many theater people in the crowd), and a chance to win free stuff. What more do you need? Mark your calendar for the 37th Musical Mondays at Hell's Kitchen on April 4, featuring the music of Stephen Schwartz, composer of Godspell, Pippin, and a little known musical called Wicked (cast TBA, watch their Facebook page for more details).