After 12 years, the Iveys are a pretty well-oiled machine. This year saw the return of the fabulous Regina Marie Williams as host, joined by past writer Mark Benninghofen, their witty banter written by Zach Curtis and Shanan Custer, with direction by Joe Chvala. The twelve honorees were announced by past winners and sponsor representatives, interspersed with a wonderful and diverse array of excerpts from this year's shows. In addition to the Emerging Artist and Lifetime Achievement Awards, honorees were chosen "based on evaluations completed by the more than 150 volunteer theater evaluators who saw more than 1,200 performances created by 84 professional theaters in the Minneapolis-St. Paul seven-county metropolitan area from September 2015 through August 2016." I saw nine of the ten productions honored, and all are deserving. Yes there are a few omissions, but you'll have to wait for my 2016 Favorites list and the 2nd Annual Twin Cities Theater Blogger Awards (both coming in early January) to find out what they are.
Here's a list of the 2016 Ivey Award honorees:
- Ensemble – Acting: Trouble in Mind (Guthrie Theater)
- Victor Zupanc – Sound Design and Music: Pinocchio (Children’s Theatre Company)
- Glensheen (History Theatre) – Overall Excellence
- Kate Sutton-Johnson – Set Design: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Theater Latté Da)
- Jasmine Hughes – Acting: Sunset Baby (Penumbra Theatre)
- Warren C. Bowles – Direction: The Tale of the Allergist’s Wife (Minnesota Jewish Theatre Company)
- The Wizard of Oz (Children’s Theatre Company) – Overall Excellence
- Kevin Fanshaw and Charles Numrich – Acting: Equus (Theatre Coup d’Etat)
- Le Switch (Jungle Theater) – Overall Excellence
- Ensemble – Acting: Now or Later (New Epic Theater)
- Emerging Artist – costume designer Trevor Bowen
- Lifetime Achievement – theater critic Graydon Royce
If you missed the ceremony, or would like to relive it, take note: "The 2016 Iveys – including pre-event activities, behind-the-scenes interviews and the Awards show – will be broadcast on 45TV at on and on KSTP-TV at on
Below is a play-by-play of the ceremony, including awards and performances, from my #IveyAwards Twitter feed.