The theme for April was the music of composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz. I know him mostly for writing one of my favorite musicals Wicked, and also his two successful shows from the '70s Godspell and Pippin. But as usual with Musical Mondays, I was exposed to many more songs and shows that I didn't know (although Minnesota Theater Lover Keith, a much bigger musical theater nerd than I am, could identify most of them). The evening was heavy on Pippin (five songs!) and light on Wicked and Godspell (one and two songs, respectively), with some The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Baker's Wife (which can be seen at Artistry this fall), and other shows sprinkled in (see the full songlist on the Musical Mondays Facebook page).
|the extraordinary performers of Musical Mondays|
- Bonni Allen: Walking Shadow's The Christians at Mixed Blood Theatre, opening in May
- Cameron Reeves: summer stock in Virginia!
- Tinia Moulder: choreographer of Glensheen, returning to the History Theatre this summer, which will also (finally) produce the lovely new Minnesota-made musical Sweet Land next spring, in which Tinia plays Brownie
- Mark King: currently playing Lumiere in the "flawlessly cast and beautifully designed" Beauty and the Beast at Chanhassen Dinner Theatres, playing through September
- Evan Tyler Wilson: currently seen (along with Max) in Theater Latte Da's exquisite new musical C., playing at the Ritz Theater through April 24
- China Brickey: Diary of a Wimpy Kid at Children's Theatre Company, opening next week
In addition to the above goodness, we also were treated to a sneak peek of Minneapolis Musical Theatre's Leap of Faith, opening April 29 at New Century Theatre. After watching the huge cast that nearly overflowed the Musical Mondays stage almost bring the Hell's Kitchen roof down, I look forward to seeing the show in a few weeks!
|the bloggers sitting front and center at Musical Mondays|
(yes, I am wearing my Defy Gravity shirt)