The '20s themed show this week featured lots of Gerswhin, with a little Berlin, Porter, and Weill thrown in. Not being an expert on musicals of the '20s, I was surprised at just how many songs were familiar to me. It made me wonder what musical theater and/or popular songs of this decade will stand the test of time and be celebrated at the 1277th Musical Mondays 100 years from now?
Making my job easier, they post the songlist and performer details on the Musical Mondays Facebook page the day after the show. It was a strong cast this month, with many great solos, duets, and group numbers (plus German!). Here's a list of performers (and where you can see them next), as well as the songlist:
- Christina Baldwin - getting ready to open A Doll's House Part 2 at Jungle Theater this month
- Corissa Leonard Bussian - playing Mimi in one of the casts of Theater Latte Da's La Boheme beginning in March (two casts?! guess I'll have to see it twice.)
- Vaughn Meccod - available for hire!
- Ryan Robert Nelson - currently puppeteering at the Science Museum of Minnesota, and on occasion performing at The Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre in downtown Minneapolis (and hopefully in the upcoming new season of Take It With You, live radio theater from Duluth! listen to past seasons here)
- Natalie Shaw - available for hire!
- Marty Swaden - available for hire!
- Music director and accompanist Andy Fleser - music directing some college opera and looking for more gigs as well!
- Co-host Sheena Janson Kelley - the upcoming Redwood at Jungle Theater
- Co-host Max Wojtanowicz - currently starring in the regional premiere of A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder at Old Log Theatre (some of the ensemble performed a fabulous song from the show that made me want to see it again!), and hosting the second installment of the Pin Spot series with Theater Latte Da, exploring their upcoming musical Bernarda Alba
- Puttin’ on the Ritz (by Irving Berlin) - all
- It All Belongs to Me (Ziegfeld Follies of 1927) - Christina
- You’re the Cream in My Coffee (Hold Everything) - Ryan
- How Long Has This Been Going On? (Funny Face) - Marty
- Solomon Song (The Threepenny Opera) - Natalie
- Pirate Jenny (The Threepenny Opera) - Christina
- Embraceable You (Girl Crazy) - Vaughn
- Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man (Show Boat) - Corissa
- Bill (Show Boat) - Corissa
- Fascinating Rhythm (Lady Be Good) - Marty
- Tea for Two (No, No, Nanette) - Natalie & Ryan
- Feature of Gentleman’s Guide (Old Log cast)
- I’ve Got a Crush on You (Treasure Girl) - Corissa & Vaughn
- Someone to Watch over Me (Oh, Kay!) - Natalie
- The Birth of the Blues (George White’s Scandals of 1926) - Marty
- Meine Lippen (Giuditta) - Christina
- Berlin im Licht-Song (by Kurt Weill) - Corissa
- Singin’ in the Rain (The Hollywood Music Box Revue) - Ryan
- If Love Were All (Bitter Sweet) - Christina
- Blue Skies (Betsy) - Natalie
- Lover, Come Back to Me (The New Moon) - Ryan
- Let’s Do It (Let’s Fall in Love) (Paris) - Christina/Marty
- Will You Remember Me? (cut from Lady Be Good) - Vaughn
- I Want to Be Happy (No, No, Nanette) - all
|the lovely and talented cast of Musical Mondays|
(photo courtesy of the Musical Mondays Facebook page)